The full story: Residents march against Ward 92 councillor

Residents who are against the appointment of ward councillor Jabu Dlamini marched from the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium to Sizakala Centre to drop off a memorandum.

METRO Police and SAPS came out in their numbers to divide the two groups that were protesting in Clermont on Saturday.

A group of residents from Ward 92 marched from Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium to Sizakala Centre calling for the removal of an ANC councillor, Jabu Dlamini.

Ward 92 includes Clermont, Indunduma, Fennin and Extension, KwaDabeka A and Westville North.

 

Residents protesting in front of the Sizakala Centre in Clermont.

 

One of the residents who was marching against the councillor, Thamsanqa Masango, said as voters, they were very disappointed by the disrespect they have received since the local elections.

“Dlamini was not the people’s choice. We were very shocked when we heard that she was going to be the ANC representative in the ward,” he said.

He said there are many issues which they have raised by writing letters to the municipality, but they have not received any response.

“Last year, what was supposed to have been a happy day for the elderly turned out to be a disaster as the gogos were given food long past the expiry date.”

Masango said if they speak to Dlamini, she answers in a disrespectful manner and tells them to go and take it up with the Speaker, William Lekgoa Mapena.

In the residents’ memorandum, they said the councillor is never at her office and she has not called one meeting.

 

COGTA deputy director, Sandile Phakathi signs the memorandum.

 

One of the senior leaders in Ward 92, Ephie Mabaso, denied all the claims that were made against the councillor saying the people marching against Dlamini had their own hidden agendas.

“They are making up stories which is why when we heard about this march today, we decided to come here and defend our councillor. Dlamini is our councillor, deployed by the ANC and was chosen by the majority of people in this ward,” she said.

Regarding the gogos Christmas party, Mabaso said Dlamini had no control over the food parcels as the municipality sends out the parcels.

“I do not understand why they are blaming Dlamini. We have also been going around the communities in Ward 92 with Dlamini, we do not know why they said she has not called any community meeting.

 

Police block the protesters from entering the Sizakala Centre offices.

 

She said the people who were marching were being used by others who want to further their own agendas and needs.

“We will not cross hands and watch them tarnish our councillor’s name,” added Mabaso.

Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) deputy director, Sandile Phakathi, said they will read through the residents’ complaints and send them to MEC Nomusa Dube’s offices.

“As I have heard some of the complaints, I believe that this matter should be handled by the Speaker’s office as it involves the councillor. On the 14th day, we will return with answers from Dube’s office.”

He urged people to welcome the answers and the facts that will be represented to them.

“The mistake that people make is to ignore the facts if they are not what they want to hear. Our aim as COGTA is to work with the people and the municipality.

 

 

 

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname (ONLY) to 060 532 5409.

You can also join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

  AUTHOR
Sanelisiwe Tsinde
Journalist/Photographer

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
WATCH: Residents march against Ward 92 councillor