WATCH: Security guards douse flames at Varsity College

AN amplifier in the boot of a student’s car is believed to be the cause of a fire at Varsity College Westville campus earlier today.

Lisa Nourse, administration manager at Westville Country Club, confirmed the incident.

ALSO READ: Mother of four dies in Hillary fire

She said a Varsity College student driving a Polo GTI noticed smoke coming out of his boot when he got out of his vehicle in the parking lot.

“When he [the student] opened his boot he noticed a fire had started in the boot. The security acted quickly and Emile from Enforce Security managed to extinguish the fire with the fire extinguishers on the property. The fire department was called at the time and when they arrived they confirmed everything was under control and the fire was out,” said Nourse.

She added that there was no other damage except to the vehicle in question and no one was injured.

“There was extensive damage to the Polo. The student said he thought it originated from the sound system wiring, but there is no confirmation of this,” said Nourse.

ALSO READ: Three siblings die in Wyebank fire

According to Nikki Moolman of Enforce Security, two Enforce security guard’s quick thinking helped them get to a fire extinguisher in the nick of time to douse the flames.

“The amplifier in the boot caught alight,” said Moolman.

Moolman commended the security guards for their quick thinking and efficiency.

 

WATCH: Security guards douse flames of burning car at Varsity College Westville campus. (Video courtesy of Enforce Security).

 

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname (ONLY) to 060 532 5409.

You can also join the conversation on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

PLEASE NOTE: If you have signed up for our news alerts you need to save the Highway Mail WhatsApp number as a contact to your phone, otherwise you will not receive our alerts.

 

  AUTHOR
Deshni Ramkissoon-Pillay
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Keep healthy and hygienic to avoid colds and flu